Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Seamus Finnegan : Underrated Awesome Character



Found HERE

This picture by itself isn't uproariously funny, but I felt obligated to post it. Seamus is probably my all-time favourite bit character, and he needed a little love on SHP. I actually used to have a pet rat named Seamus Finnegan. :)

I would like to point out the slight political/stereotypical subtext of the character while we're here. Seamus is Irish, not a Brit like most of the other characters. I cannot ignore the reference to Northern Irish bombings. Although his constant ineptitude results in semi-harmless and often humourous explosions, I'm wondering what exactly Jo was trying to convey through Seamus' character, since it didn't seem to add much to the story (the explosions, I mean).

I wish I knew how to not notice a perceived slight to the Irish, haha.

1 comment:

Nanab said...

Well, in the original books Seamus didn't really have much of a problem with explosions at all. He was just a minor side-character and honestly, I can't remember too much about him. Any and all references to his ineptitude at wizardry were created by the movies.